Rahul Jodh, Mukund Tawar, Kiran Gomkale, Sakshi Jari, Jafer Toply, Nawed Faisal
Rahul Jodh*, Mukund Tawar, Kiran Gomkale, Sakshi Jari, Jafer Toply, Nawed Faisal
Department of Pharmacology, P.R. Pote Patil College of Pharmacy, Amravati – 444602.
Volume - 14,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2022
The structural isomer of the tetracycline family is doxycycline. It's a semi-synthetic medication with antibacterial properties against a wide range of germs and excellent intracellular penetration. Bacterial resistance can take many different forms, although the ribosomal or plasmid pathways are the most common. Propionibacterium acnes has gained antibiotic resistance in most cases due to an ARNr mutation. Doxycycline has anti-inflammatory effects that manifest themselves through a variety of methods. Doxycycline is quickly absorbed and practically fully absorbed in the GI tract. Food does not affect absorption. With 90% of the molecule attached, it has a strong but fragile affinity for proteins. The majority of tissues and the extravascular compartment are swiftly absorbed. The most common method of excretion is through the bile canal. The bile channel is used for elimination. Tubular reabsorption in the kidney slows down. If you have acne, the daily dosage should be between 50 and 100 micrograms. Despite the scarcity of high-quality assays, there is widespread professional support for their use. It is also effective for rosacea at the same dosage. Doxycycline is being used as a backup antibiotic for chlamydial and mycoplasma urethritis. Additional diseases that can be treated as primary or secondary alternatives include treponematoses, brucellosis, pastoralizes, borreliosis, rickettsiosis, and cholera. Some non-infectious illnesses have been treated with doxycycline. The most common side effects are those that affect the digestive system. Esophageal poisoning has been treated with tablets and plenty of water.
Cite this article:
Rahul Jodh, Mukund Tawar, Kiran Gomkale, Sakshi Jari, Jafer Toply, Nawed Faisal. An Updated Review on Doxycycline. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics.2022;14(4):253-6. doi: 10.52711/2321-5836.2022.00043
Rahul Jodh, Mukund Tawar, Kiran Gomkale, Sakshi Jari, Jafer Toply, Nawed Faisal. An Updated Review on Doxycycline. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics.2022;14(4):253-6. doi: 10.52711/2321-5836.2022.00043 Available on: https://rjppd.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2022-14-4-9
1. Malviya V. Preparation and Evaluation of Emulsomes as a Drug Delivery System for Bifonazole. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 2021 Jan 1;55(1):86-94.
2. Karlsson M, Hammers-Berggren S, Lindquist L, Stiernstedt G, Svenungsson B. Comparison of intravenous penicillin G and oral doxycycline for treatment of Lyme neuroborreliosis. Neurology. 1994 Jul 1;44(7):1203-.
3. Malviya VR, Tawar MG. Preparation and Evaluation of Oral Dispersible Strips of Teneligliptin Hydrobromide for Treatment of Diabetes Mellitus. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020 Jan 31;13(1):4745-52.
4. KuKanich K, KuKanich B. The effect of sucralfate tablets vs. suspension on oral doxycycline absorption in dogs. Journal of veterinary pharmacology and therapeutics. 2015 Apr;38(2):169-73
5. Vargas-Estrada D, Gracia-Mora J, Sumano H. Pharmacokinetic study of an injectable long-acting parenteral formulation of doxycycline hyclate in calves. Research in Veterinary Science. 2008 Jun 1;84(3):477-82.
6. Malviya V. Design and Characterization of Thermosensitive Mucoadhesive Nasal Gel for Meclizine Hydrochloride. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2022 Feb 28;15(1):5782-93.
7. Malviya V, Burange P, Thakur Y, Tawar M. Enhancement of Solubility and Dissolution Rate of Atazanavir Sulfate by Nanocrystallization. Indian Journal of Pharmaceutical Education and Research. 2021 Jul 1;55(3):S672-80.
8. Monsalve S, Gallego V, Molina VM, Rodas J. Pharmacokinetics and adverse effects of doxycycline in the treatment of Ehrlichiosis: theoretical foundations for clinical trials in canines. Revista MVZ Córdoba. 2017 May 1; 22:6062-74.
9. Haberfeld H, e. (2020). Doxycycline Generation 200 mg losliche Tabletten.
10. Deck DH, Winston LG. Tetracyclines, macrolides, clindamycin, chloramphenicol, streptogramins, & oxazolidinones. Basic & Clinical Pharmacology. 2012; 12:13.
11. Malviya V, Thakur Y, Gudadhe SS, Tawar M. Formulation and evaluation of natural gum based fast dissolving tablet of Meclizine hydrochloride by using 3 factorial design 2. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology. 2020;6(2):94-100.
12. American Pharmaceutical Association. Evaluations of drug interactions. Washington., DC: Hung YP, Lee JC, Lin HJ, Liu HC, Wu YH, Tsai PJ, Ko WC. Doxycycline and tigecycline: two friendly drugs with a low association with Clostridium difficile infection. Antibiotics. 2015 Jun;4(2):216-29
13. Wal P, Wal A, Srivastava R, Rastogi P, Rai AK. Antibiotic therapy in pediatric patients. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2010;3(1):118-20.
14. Riond JL, Riviere JE. Pharmacology and toxicology of doxycycline. Veterinary and Human Toxicology. 1988 Oct 1;30(5):431-43.
15. Affolter K, S. W. (2017). Doxycycline -induced gastrointestinal injaury. Human Pathology, 212-215
16. Tawfeeq AH, Qassim BB. A novel method of CFIA/Merging zones technique for assay of Doxycycline in bulk and pharmaceutical preparation depending on azo dye formation. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021;14(1):67-74.
17. Singh RK, Patel PS, Sharma VK, Roy RK. UV Spectrophotometric Method Development and Validation for Estimation of Doxycycline Hydrochloride in Bulk and Capsule Dosage Form. Asian Journal of Research in Chemistry. 2013;6(4):403-6.
18. Malviya V, Ladhake V, Gajbiye K, Satao J, Tawar M. Design and Characterization of Phase Transition System of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride for Nasal Drug Delivery System. International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Nanotechnology. 2020 May 31;13(3):4942-51.
19. Lee TW, Russell L, Deng M, Gibson PR. Association of doxycycline use with the development of gastroenteritis, irritable bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease in A ustralians deployed abroad. Internal Medicine Journal. 2013 Aug;43(8):919-26.
20. Jodh R, Tawar M, Kachewar A, Mahanur V, Sureka Y, Atole V. Pharmacological Review on Madhuca longifolia. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Science. 2022 Mar 1;12(1).
21. Burange PJ, Tawar MG, Bairagi RA, Malviya VR, Sahu VK, Shewatkar SN, Sawarkar RA, Mamurkar RR. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles by using Aloe vera and Thuja orientalis leaves extract and their biological activity: a comprehensive review. Bulletin of the National Research Centre. 2021 Dec;45(1):1-3.
22. Jodh R, Tawar M, Burange P, Malviya V. A Pharmacological Review on Orchid Dactylorhiza hatagirea (D. Doon) Soo. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022 May 25;12(2):141-5.
23. McKinney KL, Wu HM, Tan KR, Gutman JR. Malaria in the pregnant traveler. Journal of Travel Medicine. 2020 May;27(4):TAAA074.
24. Gaillard T, Briolant S, Madamet M, Pradines B. The end of a dogma: the safety of doxycycline uses in young children for malaria treatment. Malaria Journal. 2017 Dec;16(1):1-5.
25. Malviya VR, Pande SD. Road CKN. Preparation ad Evaluation of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride Lozenge. J Pharma Res. 2019;8(8):624-9. Malviya VR, Pande SD. Road CKN. Preparation ad Evaluation of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride Lozenge. J Pharma Res. 2019;8(8):624-9.
26. Malviya V, Tawar M, Burange P, Jodh R. A Brief Review on Resveratrol. Asian Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2022 May 25;12(2):157-62.
27. Malviya VR, Pande SD, Bobade NN. Preparation and Evaluation of Sustained Release Beads of Zolmitriptan Hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2019 Dec 30;12(12):5972-6.
28. Malviya V, Pande S. Development and Evaluation of Fast dissolving Film of Fluoxetine hydrochloride. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Oct 31;14(10):5345-0.
29. Malviya V, Manekar S. Design, Development and Evaluation of Aceclofenac and Curcumin Agglomerates by Crystallo Co-Agglomeration Technique. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2021 Mar 1;14(3):1535-41.
30. Taylor MJ, Makunde WH, McGarry HF, Turner JD, Mand S, Hoerauf A. Macrofilaricidal activity after doxycycline treatment of Wuchereria bancrofti: a double-blind, randomised placebo-controlled trial. The Lancet. 2005 Jun 18;365(9477):2116-21.