Aditya Mathur, Shweta Asthana, Samir Patra, Pulak Jana
Aditya Mathur1*, Shweta Asthana2, Samir Patra3, Pulak Jana3
1Associate Professor, School of Pharmacy, Lingya’s Vidyapeeth, Faridabad.
2Application Specialist - A, Mylab Discovery Solutions Pvt ltd.
38th Semester B. Pharmacy, BM College of Pharmacy, Gurgaon.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2023
Almost 90% of cases of diabetes in adult is type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM). It is a chronic metabolic disorder happens for insulin resistance that cause chronic hyperglycaemia. This review article based on search on medicine, database of systemic reviews. This review presenting the etiology and major factors involved in development of type 2 diabetes mellitus and also the modification of lifestyle which is useful in the management of T2DM. Screening and diagnosis is based on the World Health Organization (WHO) and American Diabetes Association (ADA) criteria. Glucolipotoxicity, if left untreated it reduce function of pancreatic beta cell. Various environmental factors and genetic factors cause onset action of increase in diabetes. Treatment include lifestyle modification, obesity maintaining, oral hypoglycaemic agents and insulin sensitizer like metformin, biguanide decrease resistance of insulin and other is sulfonylureas thiazolidinediones, alpha- glucosidase inhibitor. It also includes the explanation of current strategies to control diabetes. The employment of phytoconstituent as multitargeting molecules and their potential use with a first line drug that helps to reduce the side effects which is caused by synthetic drugs are also explained.
Cite this article:
Aditya Mathur, Shweta Asthana, Samir Patra, Pulak Jana. A Review on Current Type-2 Diabetes Mellitus Treatment by selected Phytoconstituents. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics.2023;15(4):205-1. doi: 10.52711/2321-5836.2023.00036
Aditya Mathur, Shweta Asthana, Samir Patra, Pulak Jana. A Review on Current Type-2 Diabetes Mellitus Treatment by selected Phytoconstituents. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics.2023;15(4):205-1. doi: 10.52711/2321-5836.2023.00036 Available on: https://rjppd.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-15-4-10
1. American Diabetes Association. Diabetes statistics. 2007. Accessed at www. Diabetes. org/diabetes basics/diabetes statistics / on 20 January, 2010.
2. Wild S., Roglic G., Green A., et al. Global prevalence of Diabetes: estimates for the year 2000 and projections for 2030. Diabetes Care. 2004; 27: 1047 – 53. [PMID: 15111519]
3. Defronzo RA. The triumkirate: B – cell, muscle liver, A collusion responsible for NIDDM. Diabetes. 1988; 37: 3-13.
4. Montague CT, O `Rahilly S, The perils of portliness. Causes and consequences of visceral adiposity. Diabetes. 2000; 49: 883-8.
5. American Diabetes Association. Obesity management for the treatment of type 2 diabetes: standards of medical care in diabetes 2021. Diabetes care. 2021; 44 (supplement 1): s100 – s110.
6. Hallsworth K, Adams LA, Lifestyle modification in NAFLD/NASH: facts and figures. JHEP rep. 2019; 1(9): 468-479.
7. Sicree R, Shaw JE, Zimmet PZ. Diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance, in Diabetes Atlas, D. Gan, Editor. 2006, International Diabetes Federation: Brussels. 10–149
8. Herman W, Ali M, Albert R, Engelgau M, Kenny S, Gunter E, et al. Diabetes mellitus in Egypt: Risk factor and prevalence. Diabetic Medicine. 1995; 12: 1126- 1131.
9. Castell C, Tresserras R, Srerra J, Goday A, Lioveras G, Salleras L, Prevalence in diabetes Catalonia (Spain): an oral glucose tolerance test based population study. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 1999; 43: 33 – 40.
10. Patalk M, New weapons to combact an ancient disease: treating diabetes, FASEDJ. 2002; 16(14): 1853
11. Global burden of diabetes, International Diabetes Federation. Diabetes Atlas 5th edition 2011, Brussels. Available at http://www.idt,org/diabetes atlas, (accessed 18 th dec,2011).
12. Mbanya JC. The burden of type 2 diabetes mellitus in the African diaspora. Available at www.medscape.com/view article/560718_2
13. Department of Health and Human Services. Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, 2011. National diabetes fact sheet: national estimates and general information on diabetes and prediabetes in the United States, 2011. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/pubs/pdf/ndfs_2011.pdf. (Accessed December, 20th 2011).
14. 14.Wild S, Roglic G, Green A, Sicree R, King H. Global prevalence of diabetes: estimate for the year 2000 and projection for 2030. Diabetes Care, 2004; 127(5): 1047-1053
15. Prevalence of overweight and obesity among adults with diagnosed Diabetes United States, 1988-1994 and 1999-2000"Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) (November 2004) MMWR. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2004; 53(45): 1066-1068.
16. Kohei KAKU, Pathophysiology of Type 2 Diabetes and Its Treatment Policy, JMAJ. 2010; 53(1): 41-46.
17. McCarthy MI. Genomics, type 2 diabetes, and obesity. N Engl J Med 2010; 363(24): 2339-2350
18. Voight BF, Scott LJ, Steinthorsdottir V, Morris AP, Dina S, Welch RD, Huth C, Aulchenko YS, Thorleifsson G et al. Twelve type 2 diabetes susceptibility loci identified through large scale association analysis, Nat Genet. 2010; 42:579-589[PMC free article] [PubMed][Google Scholar].
19. Robertson RP. Antagonist: diabetes and insulin resistance–philosophy, science, and the multiplier hypothesis. J Lab Clin Med 1995; 125(5): 560-564, discussion 565.
20. Abdul-Ghani MA, Matsuda M, Jani R, et al. The relationship between fasting hyperglycemia and insulin secretion in subjects with normal or impaired glucose tolerance. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2008; 295: E401–E406
21. Matsuda M, DeFronzo RA. Insulin sensitivity indices obtained from oral glucose tolerance testing: comparison with the euglycemic insulin clamp. Diabetes Care. 1999; 22: 1462–1470.
22. Schwartz SS, Epstein S, Corkey BE, Grant SF, Gavin JR 3rd, Aguliar RB, The time is right for a new classification system for diabetes mellitus: rational and implication of the beta cell centric classification schema. Diabetes Care. 2016; 39(2): 179-186, doi:10.2337/dc15-1585.
23. Polonsky KS, Sturis J, Bell GI. Non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: a genetically programmed failure of the beta cell to compensate for insulin resistance. N Engl J Med. 1996; 334: 777-83
24. Leahy JL. Impaired ß-cell function with chronic hyperglycemia: “overworked ß-cell” hypothesis. Diabetes Rev. 1996; 4: 298- 319
25. American Diabetes Association. Diabetes Statistics. 2007. Accessed at www.diabetes.org/diabetesbasics/diabetes-statis tics/ on 20 January 2010.
26. Webb DR, Gray LJ, Khunti K, et al. Screening for diabetes using an oral glucose tolerance test within a western multi-ethnic population identifi es modifi able cardiovascular risk: the ADDITION-Leicester study. Diabetologia. 2011; 54: 2237–46.
27. Welsh KJ, Kirkman MS, Sacks DB. Role of glycated proteins in the diagnosis and management of diabetes: research gaps and future directions. Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 1299–306.
28. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists/Ameri can College of Endocrinology. Statement on the Use of A1c for the Diagnosis of Diabetes. Accessed at www.aace.com/pub/pdf/ guidelines/AACEpositionA1cfeb20 10.pdf on 4 February 2010
29. Thomas DE, Elliott EJ, Naughton GA. Exercise for type 2 diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006; 3: CD002968. [PMID: 16855995].
30. Liese, A. D. et al. The burden of diabetes mellitus among US youth: prevalence estimatesfrom the SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth Study. Pediatrics. 118, 1510–1518 (2006).
31. Dabelea, D. et al. Incidence of diabetes in youth in the United States. JAMA. 297, 2716–2724 (2007)
32. Craig, M. E., Femia, G., Broyda, V., Lloyd, M. and Howard, N. J. Type 2 diabetes in Indigenous and non-Indigenous children and adolescents in New South Wales. Med. J. Aust. 186, 497–499 (2007).
33. Williams, D. E. et al. Prevalence of impaired fasting glucose and its relationship with cardiovascular disease risk factors in US adolescents, 1999–2000. Pediatrics. 116, 1122–1126 (2005).
34. Steven S, Hollingsworth KG, Al-Mrabeh A, et al. Very-low-calorie diet and 6 months of weight stability in type 2 diabetes: pathophysiologic changes in responders and nonresponders. Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: 808–15.
35. Davies MJ, Bergenstal R, Bode B, et al. Efficacy of liraglutide for weight loss among patients with type 2 diabetes: the SCALE Diabetes Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA 2015; 314: 687–99.
36. Glucophage XR(metformin hydrochloride) extended release tablet prescribing information. Princeton, MJ Bristol -Mayers Squibb Company, 2009.
37. Kim YD, Park KG, Lee YS, Park YY, Kim DK, Nedumaran B, et al. Metformin inhibits hepatic gluconeogenesis through AMP-activated protein kinase-dependent regulation of the orphan nuclear receptor SHP. Diabetes. 2008; 57(2): 306-314.
38. Ozempic (semaglutide) prescribing information. Plainsboro, NJ, Novo Nordisk, 2017.
39. Chang G., Zhang D., Yu H, et alcardioprotective effects of exenatide against oxidative stress induced injury. Int J Mol Med. 2013; 32(5): 1011-1020.doi:10.3892/ijmm.2013.1475
40. Best JH, Hoogwerf BJ, Herman WH, Risk of cardiovascular events in patient with type 2 diabetes prescribed glucagon like peptide 1 receptor agonist exenatide twice daily or other glucose lowering therapies: a retrospective analysis of lifelink database. Diabetes care. 34(1): 90-95. doi:10.2337/dc10-1393.
41. Pfeffer MA, Claggett B, Diaz R; ELIXA investigators, Lixisenatide in patient with type 2 diabetes mellitus and acute coronary syndrome. N Engl Med. 2015; 373(23): 2247-2257. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa1509225.
42. Chiniwala N, Jabbour S. Management of diabetes mellitus in the elderly. CurrOpin Endocrinol Diabetes Obes. 2011; 18(2): 148-152.
43. Fuhlendorff J, Rorsman P, Kofod H, Brand CL, Rolin B, MacKay P, et al. Stimulation of insulin release by repaglinide and glibenclamide involves both common and distinct processes. Diabetes. 1998; 47(3): 345-351.
44. Actos (pioglitazone) tablets for oral use prescribing information. Deerfield, IL, Takeda Pharmaceuticals America, Inc, 2013. Avandia (rosiglitazone maleate tablets) prescribing information. Research Triangle Park, NC, GlaxoSmithKline, 1999
45. Meier C, Kraenzlin ME, Bodmer M, Jick SS, Jick H, Meier CR. Use of thiazolidinediones and fracture risk. Arch Intern Med, 2008; 168(8): 820–825. doi:10.1001/archinte.168.8.820
46. Mclver LA, Preuss CV, Tripp J-Acarbose, Stat pearls, 21th sep 2022.
47. Press Announcements". Fda.gov. 8(10): 1845. 1970. Bibcode: 1970JPoSB.8.1845. doi:10.1002/pol.1970.160081020. Archived from the original on 13 May 2009. Retrieved 16 December 2019.
48. Yamada Y, Kato T, Ogino H, Ashina S, Kato K (August 2008). "Cetilistat (ATL-962), a novel pancreatic lipase inhibitor, ameliorates body weight gain and improves lipid profiles in rats". Hormone and Metabolic Research. 2008; 40(8): 539–543. doi:10.1055/s-2008-1076699. PMID 18500680. S2CID 29076657.
49. Salynn Boyles (17 July 2012). "FDA approves diet drug Qsymia: agency warns of increased risk for oral birth defects". WebMD. Archived from the original on 20 February 2020. Retrieved 14 November 2012., citing "FDA approves weight-management drug Qsymia" (Press release). U.S. Food and Drug Administration. 17 July 2012. Archived from the original on 18 January 2017. Retrieved 16 December 2019.
50. Qsiva". EMA. 13 June 2013."Contrave Extended-Release- naltrexone hydrochloride and bupropion hydrochloride tablet, extended release". DailyMed. 26 April 2019. Archived from the original on 4 June 2020. Retrieved 5 August 2020
51. Park K, Park’s Text Book of Preventive and Social Medicine, 22th Edition, Jabalpur:M/S Banarasidas Bhanot, 2013, 302-309 [Google Scholar]
52. Guo C, Han F, Zhang C, Xiao W, Yang Z. Protective effects of oxymatrine on experimental diabetic nephropathy, Planta Med. 2014; 80(4): 269-276
53. Li G, Xu H, Zhu S, et al. Effects of neferine on CCL5 and CCR5 expression in SCG of type 2 diabetic rats. Brain Res Bull. 2013; 90: 79-87.
54. Sheela N, Jose MA, Sathyamurthy D, Kumar BN. Effect of silymarin on streptozotocin-nicotinamide-induced type 2 diabetic nephropathy in rats. Iran J Kidney Dis. 2013; 7(2): 117-23.
55. Ahad A, Mujeeb M, Ahsan H, Siddiqui WA. Prophylactic effect of baicalein against renal dysfunction in type 2 diabetic rats. Biochimie. 2014; 106: 101-10
56. Nekooeian AA, Khalili A, Khosravi MB. Oleuropein offers cardioprotection in rats with simultaneoustype 2 diabetes and renal hypertension. Indian J Pharmacol. 2014; 46(4): 398-403.
57. Lee J, Lee HI, Seo KI, et al. Effects of ursolic acid on glucose metabolism, the polyol pathway and dyslipidemiain non-obese type 2diabetic mice. Indian J Exp Biol. 2014; 52(7): 683-91.
58. Dharmesh Sharma, Deepak Prashar, Sanjay Saklani. Bird’s Eye View on Herbal Treatment of Diabetes. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2012; 2(1): 01-06.
59. Mohd. Yaqub Khan, Poonam Gupta, Bipin Bihari, Vikas Kumar Verma. A Review on Diabetes and Its Management. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2013; 3(1): 27-32.
60. Mohd. Yaqub Khan, Irfan Aziz, Bipin Bihari, Hemant Kumar, Maryada Roy, Vikas Kumar Verma. A Review- Phytomedicines Used in Treatment of Diabetes. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2014; 4(3): 135-154.
61. Sarika S. Lokhande, Raje V. N., More S. S., Pawar S. S. Role of Pharmacist in Prevention and Management of Diabetics. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2023; 13(2): 95-8. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2023.00019
62. Kavita Chandramore. Review on Dipeptidyl Peptidase IV Inhibitors as a Newer Target for Diabetes Mellitus Treatment. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2017; 7(4): 230-238. doi: 10.5958/2231-5691.2017.00036.3
63. Priti B. Savant, Manjusha S. Kareppa, Pawan N. Karwa, Nikita Birajdar, Monika S. Jangid. Herbal Drugs used in the Management of Diabetic Nephropathy. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research. 2022; 12(1): 54-6. doi: 10.52711/2231-5691.2022.00009
64. Sachin B. Somwanshi, Punam D. Bairagi, Kiran B. Kotade. Study of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus: A Brief Review. Asian J. Pharm. Res. 2017; 7(2): 118-123. doi: 10.5958/2231-5691.2017.00020.X
65. S. Sivaprasad. Epidemiological Study on complications of Diabetes and its Treatment Options. Asian Journal of Pharmacy and Technology. 2022; 12(1): 38-0. doi: 10.52711/2231-5713.2022.00007
66. Vandna Dewangan, Himanshu Pandey. Pathophysiology and Management of Diabetes: A Review. Res. J. Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics. 2016; 8(3): 219-222. doi: 10.5958/2321-5836.2017.00039.8
67. Mahesh Babasaheb Kolap, Nandini Maruti Bhise, Nisha Vasant Poojary, Rajesh Keshav Bhadke. Diabetes mellitus A Case Study. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics 2023; 15(1): 6-8. doi: Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics, 2023; 15(1): 6-8.
68. Vaddi Mounika, S. Sarumathy, J. Anisha Ebens, T. S. Shanmugarajan. A prospective study on incidence of Anaemia in type 2 Diabetes Mellitus Patients. Research J. Pharm. and Tech. 2017; 10(1): 11-14. doi: 10.5958/0974-360X.2017.00003.8