Haritha Sai Vidhya Bollamreddy, Ashmitha Tammineni, Vinod Kumar Mugada, Srinivasa Rao Yarguntla
Haritha Sai Vidhya Bollamreddy1*, Ashmitha Tammineni1, Vinod Kumar Mugada1,
Srinivasa Rao Yarguntla2
1Department of Pharmacy Practice, Vignan Institute of Pharmaceutical Technology, Duvvada, AP, India.
2Department of Pharmaceutics, Vignan Institute of Pharmaceutical Technology, Duvvada, AP, India.
Volume - 15,
Issue - 4,
Year - 2023
Coats disease is an attenuate ocular vasculopathy illustrated by the accumulation of fluid in the intra-retinal along subretinal space, primarily affecting young males. Although the underlying cause of the disease remains unknown, research has made significant progress in understanding its prevalence, morphology, patient variables, and history. Diagnosis can be challenging, but a range of imaging techniques, including optical coherence tomography (OCT), OCT angiography, ultrasonography, fluorescein angiography, Computed Tomography (CT) and Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) can assist in differential diagnosis and management. Mutations in the norrin deficiency protein (NDP) gene, causing norrin deficiency, are linked to the disorder, with the high male-to-female ratio due to incomplete X-inactivation in females. New therapeutic options, including investigational and standard therapies, have been developed, with ranibizumab showing promising results in previous studies. Standard therapies include cryotherapy, laser photocoagulation, and intravitreal steroids and/or vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) injections. Surgical intervention is recommended for retinal detachment (stage 3A or above), with asymptomatic, blind, and depressed stage 5 Coats patients monitored but not requiring treatment. Further research is needed to develop more effective treatments and improve patient outcomes.
Cite this article:
Haritha Sai Vidhya Bollamreddy, Ashmitha Tammineni, Vinod Kumar Mugada, Srinivasa Rao Yarguntla. A Rare Condition: The Impact of Coats Disease on Vision. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics.2023;15(4):217-2. doi: 10.52711/2321-5836.2023.00038
Haritha Sai Vidhya Bollamreddy, Ashmitha Tammineni, Vinod Kumar Mugada, Srinivasa Rao Yarguntla. A Rare Condition: The Impact of Coats Disease on Vision. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics.2023;15(4):217-2. doi: 10.52711/2321-5836.2023.00038 Available on: https://rjppd.org/AbstractView.aspx?PID=2023-15-4-12
1. Shields JA, Shields CL, Honavar SG, Demirci H, Cater J. Classification and management of Coats disease: the 2000 Proctor Lecture. American Journal of Ophthalmology. 2001 May; 131(5): 572–83.
2. Kivela T. George Coats and His Disease. Ophthalmologica. 2012; 228(3): 194–5.
3. Jung EH, Kim JH, Kim S-J, Yu YS. Fluorescein Angiographic Abnormalities in the Contralateral Eye with Normal Fundus in Children with Unilateral Coats Disease. Korean Journal of Ophthalmology. 2018;32(1):65.
4. Yannuzzi LA. Idiopathic Macular Telangiectasia. Archives of Ophthalmology. 2006 Apr 1;124(4):450.
5. Reese AB. Telangiectasis of the Retina and Coats Disease*. American Journal of Ophthalmology. 1956 Jul;42(1):1–8.
6. Khadka S, Byanju R, Parajuli S. Rhegmatogenous retinal detachment in Coats disease: a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports. 2021 Dec;15(1).
7. Jonas JB, Holbach LM. Clinical-pathologic correlation in Coats disease. Graefe’s Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. 2001 Jun 29;239(7):544–5.
8. Ghorbanian S, Jaulim A, Chatziralli IP. Diagnosis and Treatment of Coats’ Disease: A Review of the Literature. Ophthalmologica. 2012;227(4):175–82.
9. Egbert. Flat preparations of the retinal vessels in Coats disease. Journal of Pediatric Ophthalmology. 2022;13(6).
10. Fernandes BF, Odashiro AN, Maloney S, Zajdenweber ME, Lopes AG, Burnier MN. Clinical-histopathological correlation in a case of Coats disease. Diagnostic Pathology. 2006 Aug 30;1(1).
11. Shields JA, Shields CL. Review: Coats Disease. Retina. 2002; 22(1): 80–91.
12. Michaelides M, Luthert PJ, Moore AT, Cooling R, Firth H. Norrie disease and peripheral venous insufficiency. The British Journal of Ophthalmology. 2004; 88(11):1475.
13. Sigler EJ, Randolph JC, Calzada JI, Wilson MW, Haik BG. Current management of Coats disease. Survey of Ophthalmology. 2014; 59(1):30–46.
14. Mino A, Mitamura Y, Katome T, Semba K, Egawa M, Naito T. Case of adult-onset Coats disease with epiretinal membrane treated with 25-gauge pars plana vitrectomy. The Journal of Medical Investigation. 2015; 62(1.2):85–8.
15. Kumar K, Raj P, Chandnani N, Agarwal A. Intravitreal dexamethasone implant with retinal photocoagulation for adult-onset Coats disease. International Ophthalmology. 2018; 39(2): 465–70.
16. Martín-Sanz R, Peña D, López-Miguel A, Coco-Martín MB, González-García H, Álvarez-Guisasola FJ, et al. Coats Disease in a Patient with Fanconi Anemia: A Case Report. European Journal of Ophthalmology. 2014; 25(2):182–3.
17. Martin KRG. Cyclodiode laser therapy for painful, blind glaucomatous eyes. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 2001 Apr 1;85(4):474–6.
18. Kodama A, Sugioka K, Kusaka S, Matsumoto C, Shimomura Y. Combined treatment for Coats disease: retinal laser photocoagulation combined with intravitreal bevacizumab injection was effective in two cases. BMC Ophthalmology. 2014; 14(1).
19. Gomez Morales A. Coats disease. Natural history and results of treatment. American Journal of Ophthalmology. 1965; 60(5):855–65.
20. Campbell FP. Coats disease and congenital vascular retinopathy. Transactions of the American Ophthalmological Society. 1976; 74: 365–424.
21. Gupta A, Paulbuddhe VS, Shukla UV, Tripathy K. Exudative Retinitis (Coats Disease). PubMed. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022
22. Imre G. Coats Disease and Hyperlipemic Retinitis. American Journal of Ophthalmology. 1967; 64(4): 726–8.
23. Black G. Coats disease of the retina (unilateral retinal telangiectasis) caused by somatic mutation in the NDP gene: a role for norrin in retinal angiogenesis. Human Molecular Genetics. 1999; 8(11): 2031–5.
24. Haik BG. Advanced Coats disease. Transactions of the American Ophthalmological Society. 1991; 89: 371–476.
25. Shori, Rakesh; Shori, Chhaya. Blood Pressure and Glaucoma. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics [Internet] 2014 [cited 2023 Jun 10]; 7: 89–90.
26. Gaikwad PM, Nimbalkar VV, Priyanka Sabale, Barkade GD. Evaluation of Sertraline as an antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anticataract. 2021 [cited 2023 Jun 10]; 6413–6.
27. Henry CR, Berrocal AM, Hess DJ, Murray TG. Intraoperative Spectral-Domain Optical Coherence Tomography in Coats Disease. Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers and Imaging Retina. 2012; 43(6).
28. Seo, Young-Hyun;Han, Jae-Bok;Choi, Nam-Gil;Song, Jong-Nam;Jong, Mun-Taek;Jung, Myo-Young. Correlations Analysis of the Entrance Surface Dose according to the BMI at Computed Tomography and Angiography in Cardiovascular Examination. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology [Internet] 2014 [cited 2023 Jun 10]; 11: 337–41.
29. Sathiya, K G; Srinivasan, S.;Sivakumaran, T. S. Decision support system for glaucoma diagnosis using optical coherence tomography images. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology [Internet] 2014 [cited 2023 Jun 10]; 11: 1860–6.
30. Diwakar, M. K. An Assessment of Angiography Used as a Diagnostic Tool in Obscure Intra Abdominal Masses. Research Journal of Pharmacology and Pharmacodynamics [Internet] 2014 [cited 2023 Jun 10]; 8: 55–7.
31. Char DH. Coats syndrome: long term follow up. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 2000; 84(1): 37–9.
32. Koozekanani DD, Connor TB, Wirostko WJ. RetCam II Fluorescein Angiography to Guide Treatment and Diagnosis of Coats Disease. Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers and Imaging Retina. 2010; 41(3): 1–3.
33. McGettrick PM, Loeffler KU. Bilateral Coats disease in an infant (a clinical, angiographic, light and electron microscopic study). Eye. 1987; 1(1): 136–45.
34. Tarkkanen A, Laatikainen L. Coat’s disease: clinical, angiographic, histopathological findings and clinical management. British Journal of Ophthalmology. 1983; 67(11): 766–76.
35. Haik BG, Saint Louis L, Smith ME, Ellsworth RM, Abramson DH, Cahill P, et al. Magnetic Resonance Imaging in the Evaluation of Leukocoria. Ophthalmology. 1985; 92(8): 1143–52.
36. Mafee MF, Goldberg MF, Greenwald MJ, Schulman J, Malmed A, Flanders AE. Retinoblastoma and simulating lesions: role of CT and MR imaging. Radiologic Clinics of North America [Internet]. 1987 Jul 1 [cited 2023 Jan 26]; 25(4):667–82.
37. Shields JA, Parsons HM, Shields CL, Shah P. Lesions Simulating Retinoblastoma. Journal of Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus. 1991; 28(6): 338–40.
38. Edward DP, Mafee MF, Garcia-Valenzuela E, Weiss RA. Coats disease and persistent hyperplastic primary vitreous. Radiologic Clinics of North America. 1998 Nov;36(6):1119–31
39. Eisenberg L, Castillo M, Kwock L, Mukherji SK, Wallace DK. Proton MR spectroscopy in Coats disease. AJNR American journal of neuroradiology [Internet]. 1997 Apr 1 [cited 2023 Jan 26];18(4):727–9.
40. Evaluation of Retinal and Vascular Features in Coats Disease After Intravitreal Injections of Ranibizumab - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov. [cited 2023 Jan 26]; Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04310631?cond=Coats+Disease&draw=2&rank=1
41. Treatment of Congenital Telangiectasia (Coat’s Disease) With Open-label Anecortave Acetate (15mg.) - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov [Internet]. clinicaltrials.gov. [cited 2023 Jan 26]. Available from: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00211315?cond=Coats+Disease&draw=2&rank=3
42. Ong SS, Buckley EG, McCuen BW, Jaffe GJ, Postel EA, Mahmoud TH, et al. Comparison of Visual Outcomes in Coats Disease. Ophthalmology. 2017 Sep;124(9):1368–76.
43. Perrone S, Rossetti A, Sportiello P, Mirabelli P, Cimatti P, Doro D. Coats Disease: Very Long-Term Outcome After Early Stage Conventional Treatment. The Open Ophthalmology Journal. 2016 Feb 29;10(1):22–6.
44. Martínez-Castillo S, Gallego-Pinazo R, Dolz-Marco R, Marín-Lambíes C, Díaz-Llopis M. Adult Coats Disease Successfully Managed with the Dexamethasone Intravitreal Implant (Ozurdex®) Combined with Retinal Photocoagulation. Case Reports in Ophthalmology. 2012 Mar 26;3(1):123–7.
45. Saatci AO, Doruk HC, Yaman A. Intravitreal Dexamethasone Implant (Ozurdex) in Coats Disease. Case Reports in Ophthalmology. 2013 Sep 21;4(3):122–8.
46. Ridley ME, Shields JA, Brown GC, Tasman W. Coats Disease. Ophthalmology. 1982 Dec;89(12):1381–7.
47. Jun J-H, Kim Y-C, Kim K-S. Resolution of Severe Macular Edema in Adult Coats Disease with Intravitreal Triamcinolone and Bevacizumab Injection. Korean Journal of Ophthalmology. 2008;22(3):190.
48. Tilala, Hiren; Suneesh, P.M.; Doss, K. Jeenath Justin. A Study to Assess the Effectiveness of Cryotherapy on level of pain among patient with Arthralgia in selected Orthopedic Hospital at Rajkot. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management [Internet]. 2014 [cited 2023 Jun 10];8(1):69–71.
49. B VS, M DV, Vijay AC, Rajamani S. Effectiveness of Cryotherapy on Radiation Induced Oral Mucositis among patients who receive Radiation Therapy at KMCH, Coimbatore. 2022 May 5 [cited 2023 Jun 10];109–12.
50. Jose, Lijiya; Lobo, Diana. Effectiveness of Cryotherapy on Arteriovenous Fistula Puncture related Pain among Hemodialysis Patients in Selected Hospitals, Mangalore. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management [Internet] 2014 [cited 2023 Jun 10];3:267–72.
51. Patidar, Dayalal; Patidar, Kaushal; parmar, Amita. Effectiveness of Cryotherapy on Arteriovenous Fistula Puncture related Pain among Patients on Hemodialysis in selected Hospital at Mehsana District. International Journal of Advances in Nursing Management [Internet] 2014 [cited 2023 Jun 10]; 7:221–4.
52. Cai X, Zhao P, Zhang Q, Jin H. Treatment of stage 3 Coats disease by endolaser photocoagulation via a two-port pars plana nonvitrectomy approach. Graefe’s Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. 2015 Mar 21;253(7):999–1004.
53. Nucci P, Bandello F, Serafino M, Wilson ME. Selective photocoagulation in Coats disease: ten-year follow-up. European Journal of Ophthalmology [Internet]. 2002 [cited 2023 Jan 26];12(6):501–5.
54. Nayak, Smita; Jadhav, Madhuri; Bhaskar, Vaidhun. Recent Advances in Ocular Drug Delivery Systems. Research Journal of Pharmacy and Technology [Internet] 2014 [cited 2023 Jun 10]; 9:995–1006.
55. Suesskind D, Altpeter E, Schrader M, Bartz-Schmidt KU, Aisenbrey S. Pars plana vitrectomy for treatment of advanced Coats disease—presentation of a modified surgical technique and long-term follow-up. Graefe’s Archive for Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. 2013 Nov 12;252(6):873–9.
56. Karacorlu M, Hocaoglu M, SaymanMuslubas I, Arf S. Long-Term Anatomical and Functional Outcomes Following Vitrectomy for Advanced Coats Disease. Retina. 2017 Sep;37(9):1757–64.
57. Zhao Q, Peng X-Y, Chen F-H, Zhang Y-P, Wang L, You Q-S, et al. Vascular endothelial growth factor in Coats disease. Acta Ophthalmologica. 2013 Jun 13;92(3):e225–8.
58. Giannakopoulos M, Drimtzias E, Panteli V, Vasilakis P, Gartaganis SP. Intravitreal Ranibizumab as an Adjunctive Treatment for coats disease (6-Year Follow-UP). Retinal Cases & Brief Reports. 2016 Jul;1.